Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Self Introduction


I am Angelica. I grew up in Los Angeles but more specifically West Hollywood, which is practically a city itself (we have our own mayor!) I lived here with my mom and two cats in an apartment, occasionally going to visit my father who resides in Rome. However, due to his job he does tend to travel quite a bit to different countries and I have been fortunate enough to go with him. Most of my family works in film so perhaps that’s where my interest started. I’m not sure exactly what I want to do in film but I at least know it’s the industry I want to be in. Whether it’s doing grand films or working on small projects I could be proud of all my life, I think it’s something that I will always be content and happy with, and that’s very important to me.
Aside from that I enjoy drawing. I’m not particularly good but I enjoy it. I like working with charcoal and pen and have even made a comic book with my boyfriend (he wrote, I drew). Right now I’m working on my own sort of autobiographical work staring little simplistic birds. For comic inspiration I really look up to Daniel Clowes and Jeffery Brown.
Punk shows are my favorite kind of concerts to attend, but I am pretty open about music. My favorite bands are Of Montreal, Joy Division, Dead Kennedy’s, New Order, The Stranglers, The Velvet Underground, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains and Madness. I really liked Outside Lands and Riot fest. I disliked Coachella.
I came to Columbia because I wanted to move. My dad works here a lot, so when visiting him I really grew to love Chicago. Plus I love the hands on approach here. I have friends at UCLA and other schools back home studying film who haven’t even touched a camera. And since film is technically one of those professions where you don’t always need a degree, I’d like to get the fullest extent of mine.
Not to be a smartass, but the medium I fell most comfortable expressing myself is verbally and orally. As mentioned, I like film and drawing so those two mediums serve me well in self-expression. However I did really love photography at one point and still would love to use it for this purpose. And I enjoy writing for my own personal gain. I just don’t think I could do this through music. Though I love and appreciate it I have no gifts there whatsoever.
I hope to shape my voice and ability to express myself in new and original ways.
I don’t want to do shitty in this class. I am generally a good student but I did not do well in Writing and Rhetoric 1 and found my last class to be very dry and anything but stimulating. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Angela.
    I dig the bird illustration! You don't sound like a smart ass in saying that you feel most comfortable expressing yourself through verbal means. I can totally understand that. Some people are natural orators and use talking to best understand and express themselves! I'd love to see some illustrations tied in with your papers sometime!

    ReplyDelete