This could
quite possibly be my earliest memory. I now know that what I was seeing and
experiencing was a trip to New York to visit one of my moms older and dearest
friends. The memory starts on the trip from the cab ride to the house. It’s
dark and we have just gotten off the plane. I am too small to really see out
the window but I distinctly remember the flashing lights swimming past us as we
glided to the destination. Even though I was very small, I still think I shared
the general feelings of my other family members in the car of relief to be out,
excitement to get there, and of course the distinct stalled numbness of being
at a stage in an exciting event where you are either here nor there. After all
when visiting a place one does not tend to dwell upon such details as the cab
ride. When we got there I really only remembered one room, the one I stayed in.
It was like something out a sweet grandmother’s dream. All I can recall were
teddy bears. Old fashioned, cream and beige with little bows and outfits in
washed out variations of plaid. The wallpaper was also teddy bears so there was
not distinct barrier between them and the rest of the room. I can’t even
remember and of the other furniture in the room, I just look up to see the
dozens of bears aligning the space. Our hostess came in. She had short hair,
thick rims, and an honest smile. This all happened when I was under the age of
two and I never really mentioned it (we also never went back there again) until
my mothers friend died. We spoke about how warm and inviting of a person she
was, how loving, and then reminisced about those teddy bear walls.
Hey, Angelica.
ReplyDeleteGreat work with original descriptions. The details you chose to include really enhance the tone of the piece (always be mindful that arrangement (and what you choose to include) is always an act of artistry.) I loved this little segment: "...excitement to get there, and of course the distinct stalled numbness of being at a stage in an exciting event where you are either here nor there." You include details that are strange, but relatable in a unique and interesting voice.
For next time, don't include any unnecessary details, words, or phrases. Say only what *needs* to be said. Include only those elements that contribute to the tone, narrator-identity, or characters.